Director of Equity, Inclusion and Community Engagement (Full-time)
Responsible for operationalizing, implementing and advancing equity, diversity and inclusion strategy, including the organization’s strategic plan regarding racial equity.
The Director and Inclusion is responsible for overall development and advancement of the affiliate’s internal and external equity, diversity and inclusion strategy. The Director provides overall leadership and management in the implementation of the affiliate’s equity and inclusion strategy, including development of the annual equity plan and annual report.
The Director is essential to lead and ensure that we proactively deliver equitable services and implement equitable policies, practices and actions throughout our work. The Director combines knowledge of the affiliate’s mission, core values and services with best practices in equity, diversity and inclusion to develop, implement and evaluate initiatives that will contribute to the organization’s strategic equity goals. The Director will oversee and implement strategic community engagement initiatives in our service areas and will demonstrate the core values of the affiliate: Integrity, Excellence, Justice, Fierce Compassion and Courageous Innovation.
**Willing to relocate to one of the affiliate states (WA, ID, AK, IN, KY, HI)**
Leads the development and implementation of an equity framework for the affiliate which includes goals, objectives and strategies for organizational equity, diversity and inclusion that are aligned with the mission, values and strategic direction.
Works collaboratively with other affiliate leaders to modify, improve, and operationalize a results-oriented racial equity plan to increase collective knowledge and integrated outcomes.
- Provides consultation to affiliate leaders on equity, diversity and inclusion work and makes recommendations to overcome barriers.
- Collaborates with affiliate leaders to build internal engagement and accountability measures for equity, diversity and inclusion at all levels.
- Cultivates and maintains effective partnerships with diverse external organizations, other relevant organizations, thought leaders, partners and vendors in order to inform the agency’s strategy for racial equity work and other diversity and inclusion objectives.
- Develops strategies to recruit and retain a diverse workforce.
- Provides oversight for the affiliates community engagement and outreach activities related to equity, diversity and inclusion focused initiatives.
- Engages external partners using a variety of strategies including expanding access to community based groups for internship programs, and volunteers.
- Manages volunteer programs. Supervise volunteer program staff and interns.
- Partners and works with departments throughout the affiliate to provide services, develop and implement trainings that are culturally competent and inclusive.
- Provides support, coaching and consultation to individuals, managers and groups regarding cross-cultural conflicts, as well as policies and practices that might have an impact
- Provides oversight and management of all committees, groups, and caucuses supporting the affiliate’s equity, diversity and inclusion efforts by establishing goals, work plans, meeting agendas and offsite planning sessions.
- Develops processes and systems to evaluate and measure the impact of racial equity and other diversity and inclusion work. Gathers and analyzes data as needed and prepares reports – including an annual, comprehensive report.
- Manages the department budget.
Diversity, Equity & Inclusion
Understands multiple cultural frameworks, values norms, and demonstrates an ability to flex style when faced with various dimensions of culture in order to be effective.
Able to develop and deliver equity trainings and other learning materials, analyze and present equity related data, coach and mentor colleagues on equity related development, and conduct and communicate equity assessments.
Understands the dynamics of racism and other –isms, addressing problematic equity-related issues in individual teams.
Able to identify, develop and foster relationships with internal and external stakeholders, thought leaders, partners and vendors in service to the affiliate’s equity goals.
Able to positively and pro-actively manage, motivate and supervise staff, which includes hiring, training, evaluating and assigning work. Manages projects, develops effective systems and manages several programs simultaneously while staying within budget and meeting deadlines. Keeps all parties informed.
Communicates clearly and concisely both verbally and in writing; creates communications with a tone that is clear, and effective.
Able to manage information in a way that honors all parties; high degree of honesty and integrity.
Understanding of labor, leave and employment laws and the ability to accurately analyze and interpret laws and internal policies.
Effectively plans and sets priorities to operationalize equity related strategic goals and initiatives.
Able to effectively use technologies to foster agency culture, build connections and promote learning opportunities throughout our multi-state affiliate.
7 years management experience OR three (3) years + Master’s Degree.
5 years successful experience and leadership in advancing equity and inclusion programs (can be included within 7 years of management experience).
1 year Human Resources experience: Understanding of labor, leave and employment laws and the ability to accurately analyze and interpret laws and internal policies.
Bachelor’s degree required in one of the following or similar fields:
Diversity, Human Resources Management, Organizational Development, Education, Communications
As an organization, we are focused on equity, diversity and inclusion. Specifically, we recognize that profound racism impacts the education, health and wellbeing of people in our communities and we are actively working to address all forms of oppression. We believe our employees should reflect the diversity of the populations we serve, including racial and ethnic diversity. People of color are strongly urged to apply.