Outside Plant Engineer
Responsible for the documentation of physical fiber and coaxial paths across the Seattle Cable network in support of selling and installing fiber-based services. Support the company by keeping detailed inventory of the network utilizing specialized software (OSPInsight, MapInfo, AutoCAD, Lode Data or their equivalents).
- Use OSPInsight, MapInfo, AutoCAD, Lode Data or their equivalents to document routes for underground and aerial fiber optic cable in private and public right of ways from both desktop reviews and construction as-builts
- Interpret As-Built prints from Work & Maintenance Orders and post to permanent records on a timely basis.
- Research existing record information, including records, system maps, plans, client data, plant info, and right-of-way / land-based documents
- Manage the conversion of source data into drawings showing placement of existing fiber optic cable in multiple markets.
- Ensure fiber optic database is current and accurate by inputting data into system on a daily basis with new cable, conduit, manholes, fiber assignments, splicing, enclosures and customer terminations.
- Provide OSP field personnel with information on cable pair, route, PED, and customer information
- Prepare information in various formats (e.g., maps, spreadsheets, slides) for executive management, sales, construction project management, field operations, and network operations when requested.
- Assist in the accomplishment of company objectives by performing other related duties as assigned
- Remain current on new fiber management products, services, protocols, and standards to stay abreast of developments in the field.
- Participate in design and review of new Fiber Mapping enhancements and integrations.
- Experience in telecom sales engineering, OSP field work, OSP fiber network inventory system(s), or related telecom infrastructure areas a plus.
- 1-3 years’ experience in the follow areas required in any combination; outside plant engineering experience to include fiber optic and coax design (aerial and underground), construction, maintenance, and project management at increasing levels of complexity.
- Working knowledge of OSP Insight, MapInfo, AutoCAD, Lode Data or their equivalents; must be able to operate Microsoft Office package or equivalent spreadsheets, word processing, email, database and presentation programs.
- Full knowledge of outside plant fiber optic network infrastructure, engineering design andconstruction.
- Ability to generate and translate information in drawings, blueprints, spreadsheets, as-builds, etc. to others; must be comfortable speaking in public and group settings.
- Ability to work independently, with a high degree of initiative, and within a collaborative team environment.
- Demonstrates flexibility and willingness to perform tasks outside of the predefined tasks, and desire to perform over and above the minimum asked.
- Familiar with GIS (Geographic Information Systems) and database management including AutoCAD and OSPInsight
- Professional with the following attributes: self-motivated, team-oriented, hard worker, reliable, excellent time management skills, positive attitude.
- Proficiency with common office productivity software (Microsoft Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Adobe Acrobat) and aptitude to quickly learn and become proficient with other software and web-based applications (e.g. Salesforce.com for uploading, updating, and extracting data from lists).
- Proficient in use of standard office equipment
- Knowledge of design techniques, tools and the ability to function independently of supervision
- Periodic air travel will be required
- Proficient analytical, organizational and time management skills, including the ability to effectively prioritize assignments
- Strong interpersonal and written / oral communication skills
- BS/BA in a technical major such as Telecommunications, Engineering, or Equivalent/combination of work experience and/or education